Golden Triangle Speedway
September 02, 2014, 06:42:23 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rough Driving  (Read 20444 times)
Jonathan Johnson

« Reply #45 on: September 25, 2007, 10:23:17 pm »

I HATE YOU BRIAN....you're no fun!  I wasn't playing I was testing the internet connection.....lol
redroosterracing

« Reply #46 on: September 26, 2007, 01:54:18 am »

i used to race at the old forest hill speedway in louisiana and the thunder valley  in la,every track you go to there is the same complaints of cheating and rough driving.  i agree with the comment ,if you think someone is illegal put your money where your mouth is and speak-up or shut-up.The rough driving has to be handled by the officials,just make them aware of it and who to watch.  We are grown-ups here not kids. I started in the back and would just let (the wreckers)sort themselves out,and they will,then try to advance from there. Its a hobby not a job and not a money-maker.    GOOD JOB BUTCH!   I ENJOYED EVERY SECOND EVEN WHEN I GOT IN A WRECK OR COULDNT FINISH> THANK YOU FOR THE RIDE.     but my only gripe is ...those big mud holes coming off the track back to the pits   LOL   had to be negative on something  HAHA

The closer to the front you get, the faster the cars are....
butch1965

« Reply #47 on: September 26, 2007, 02:48:06 am »

We will be racing at Motorama as long as I have it, even if that is 5 more years. Races are already being planned for next year and I have already been talking with the other tracks about getting our rules the same. I will only sell the track to someone that I believe will try to make racing at Motorama even better than ever. I do not have to sell it, there may be someone that can promote racing in this area better than me, getting sponsors and advertising is not my strong point. I do know that to get sponsors you first need to have something that will get them interested. I have already refused one offer from someone that would not have been good for racing in Beaumont. I hope this answers your questions, I am not going away, I love racing and I plan to help promote it whether I still own it or not.

JJ has a good point about how we treat visitors. There will be alot of racers and their crewmembers visiting from out of town and out of state during the USMTS race this Oct 18,19,and 20th, this will be a great chance to promote our track. Lets give them a reason to want to return for future races.  We will be having a golf tournament on Friday morning Oct 19 during the USMTS races, it will be a 2 man team best ball scramble. What about a title, 1st Annual Motorama Speedway Golf Classic?  This will be open to drivers , crews, spectators and anyone that likes racing. If anyone has a good idea to help make these racers want to return for future races, let me know. The bigger the effort, the bigger the reward and I'm not talking about my pockets.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2007, 03:28:02 am by butch1965 » Logged
HS89

« Reply #48 on: September 26, 2007, 05:23:16 am »

Some other drivers and I were discussing the rough driving issue this evening. We all agreed that part of the problem with the pure stock is that they should allow quick steer. I have driven with and without quick steer. Believe me, it is much easier to recover your car when you get in trouble if you have quick steer.I don't think that quick steer is a performance enhancement, but a safety feature. Think how many wrecks could be avoided if quick steer is allowed. I know I have dodged my fair share with quick steer. How many drivers agree with me? If all the tracks allowed quick steer, I feel there would be far fewer wrecks. Just my two cents.

2007 Outlaw Stock Points Champion
Jonathan Johnson

« Reply #49 on: September 26, 2007, 01:39:12 pm »

HS89

I have heard another owner/driver in pure stock mention the quick steer as well.  I agree that if the other tracks in the area would go for it, that may help the situation.  And from the driver's stand point I think that the fact you all see it as a safety issue may go along way with the owners and rule writers.

Butch, how about the "Chasing Robert Corbello's Ball Golf Classic"...that has a nice ring to it huh?

I do like the "Motorama Speedway Golf Classic" though.  This could really turn into a fun annual event. 
umpracer

« Reply #50 on: September 26, 2007, 06:44:56 pm »

JJ are you going golfing.  Where have you been i heard you were getting out of circle and going straight again.  In a racecar I mean! hehehe  just checkin on u after all you are my oreh!
Jonathan Johnson

« Reply #51 on: September 26, 2007, 08:14:56 pm »

Haha, real funny!   Roll Eyes  Jk... No I don't think I am golfing..I gotta work, but maybe.  And I am going ot stay in a circle.  Heck I'm having too much fun!  I'm just rebuilding right now.  Been helping Katie with some wedding planning, trying to put the new car together and finding out what was slavageable from the baby motor that went boom!  Time will tell, in the mean time I can watch you guys and imagine myself going around the track.  Wait...that makes me a keyboard racer, huh?  OH NO.....

JJ

Brian88

« Reply #52 on: September 26, 2007, 08:25:46 pm »

JJ your going to be typing in TWC (Texas Workforce Commission) if you don't get back to work!!!

LOL!!!  Grin
BUBBET

« Reply #53 on: September 26, 2007, 11:51:54 pm »

You did a great job taking care of the wreck Butch there is no question in anyone's mind that the wreck was what needed your full attention.  The 357 and 25 got hung up on the front straight like dogs and the wrecker had to unhang them.  The flagmans job is to watch the rest of the track while the officials on the track take care of the wreck during a red light.  If the wrecker unhung them then someone saw it and the flagman should have.  I agree that stopping the rough driving starts with the officials.  I think a nice thing that could be done for the special race is checkered flags for all the winners (heats and features).  If you let me know in time I will buy the flags that would be something they can take home with them from motorama.  If you have stickers of somekind with Motorama on it that will stick to material we could even do that.  No one is saying that Motorama is a bad place or that Butch is doing a bad job we just want some of the problems addressed so that it is a better and "safer" place to race.
rogracer2

« Reply #54 on: September 27, 2007, 03:05:21 am »

I am the pure stock #2 car driver. I think every one of us has at one time or another driven in a corner too deep and run into someone. I think it is usually done by accident. I don't think you have to throw someone off the track for the first violation, unless you think it was done intentionally. However, if the same driver has a habit of doing this, especially in the same race night, then I think its a good idea to take them off the track, for their safety and everyone elses.

I average 2-3 lost tires each year due to somone running into me. I chalk this up to dirt track racing - and don't really get upset unless I think it was done intentionally. Many times after the race, the driver will come up to me and apologize. That works for me.

There are 2-3 drivers in the pure stock class that seem to drive too aggressively week after week. When they single-handedly take out 2-3 cars a night in the corners, then they should be DQed. I thought the officials did do this several times this past year. Personally, I try to stay clear of them as much as I can on the track. It doesn't always work obviously!

So my grade for the track officiating this year in pure stock is an "A". I'm a realist and believe they won't see who started every single incident, but I also think they tried to handle the rough driving when they saw it -which was most of the time.

By the way, the talk about out of towners being treated rudely, when I first started racing 4 years ago, I was literally one of those fans in the stands that bought a bomber and had no idea what I was doing in the pits or on the track. I almost ran over a track official when I first went out to pack the track because it was so slippery! I had a ton of drivers help me out in the pits, both in pure stock and other classes. This has continued each and every year. I think most of the drivers and crews are extremely helpful in the pits, still today, and I want to thank everyone who has helped beginners like me in the past 4 years. I consider everyone involved with racing part of my extended family.
driving128

« Reply #55 on: September 27, 2007, 03:56:00 am »

Butch, let me know how we can help with the Golf Tournament. How are you using sponsorship money and when would you need it by. We are interested in helping out. By the way, street stock, pure stock etc. is where you learn to drive, it's rough at times but it is what it is, an entry level class to get experience and hopefully move up from there. this class is put together so we can get into racing and keep the cost down as much as possible. We have always had alot of wrecks, lost wheels, cut tires, bent frames etc. that's just part of the class. We go to alot of tracks and these classes are the same everywhere, alot of cars and alot of wrecks. I still get mad thinking back to silsbee in the late 80's but overall it was good experience. Quick steer would only raise the cost of raising, the wrecks are still going to happen. We have quick steer and just got through putting a new body on, it happens.
kwc871

« Reply #56 on: September 27, 2007, 01:47:09 pm »

i run  in the mod stock class. i only have one complaint about our class and that is we did not get to race much this past season. i hope this changes next year. i have been in several wrecks and caused a few and never felt like any of them were were done on intentionally. we have a really good class and hope we can get to car count back up for a little more exciting racing.
skettl157

60 Years and 5 Generations of Racing

« Reply #57 on: September 27, 2007, 05:53:03 pm »

Why not have a good old fashioned Demolition Derby? Grin
Where beating, banging,rubbing and taking someone out is intentional AND legal!!!!!!
This may be a good way to work out some frustrations and a good end of season event. Just a thought.  Kiss
« Last Edit: September 27, 2007, 06:03:13 pm by skettl157 » Logged

Live life one lap at a time!!!!!!!!!!
Kettl 157  'n The Blood Racing
HS89

« Reply #58 on: September 27, 2007, 07:30:56 pm »

driving128, quick steer only cost around $150. If having quick steer saves someone two tires, that in itself pays for the quick steer. I know that pure stock is suppose to be a lower cost class, but if having quick steer saves you money for broken parts and repairs, isn't it worth it? Think about all the money you spend on tires, rims, a frames, bodies, etc. Also, another point to make is, you don't have to work as hard to drive the car.

2007 Outlaw Stock Points Champion
driving128

« Reply #59 on: September 28, 2007, 01:01:34 pm »

That's a good point but there is no way that quick steer is going to save the class from wrecks. wrecks happen. I actually like Kettles idea of the old fashioned demo derby, I'm sure Keith Lee would bring out a few cars. Fans love those.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: