Golden Triangle Speedway
September 21, 2014, 10:00:11 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: General Questions for Hobby Stock  (Read 2067 times)
olds1982

« on: May 13, 2008, 07:33:59 pm »

I am planning to run hobby stock in the upcomming 09 year.  I am now building my car and had a few questions.  Have not raced in about ten years just needing some info.  I have a 1982 olds cutlass.  Planning on putting a chevy 350 4 bolt to replace the olds motor that was there.  I think this is ok just wanted to check.  Also what carbs are required.  The rules are a little grey which is good.  Just not sure how grey.  I am planning to run at GTRP and also in Lufkin.  Trying to make sure my car is legal at both places for hobby stock class.  Any info or suggestions is greatly appreciated.  Thanks
7s bomber

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008, 08:33:39 pm »

Rules are in black and white on this website. Pretty clear to me!

I run a holly 4412 2 barrel. the 4412, quadrajet, and rochester 2 barrel are only legal carbs.

Read rules section. Very specific!

S Bomber/Outlawstock/Modstock/Purestock, whatever...lets race!
olds1982

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2008, 05:15:05 am »

I guess I should have been more specific.  My question was mainly regarding the motor.  Everything in the rules refers to chevrolet motors.  My question is do I have to run a oldsmobile motor or can I run a chevy motor.  I guess I may be asking stupid questions but I have raced at tracks that you must have the same motor for your car.  Others just require a GM motor. 
billy5x

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2008, 02:14:27 pm »

generally speaking,,gm to run gm..... doesnt really say,but during the years these cars were built,they could have just about any gm engine from the factory,,but to try and answer your question..im sure you can put a 350 chevy engine in any gm car...just look and see what everyone else is doing..
Jonathan Johnson

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2008, 01:19:39 am »

Yes, you can run a chevy motor in an olds.  Just as someone could take a metric grand prix and put a chevy motor in it.  It doesn't matter what engine, just as long as you abide by the rules stated forth for that engine combination...

JJ
olds1982

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2008, 01:45:07 pm »

You know its funny......when you ask for some help and a little track info, many will see what your asking, but only a few helpful hands will take the time to respond and share their experience.  However when you post somthing with drama surrounding it, all will view and all will post their feelings.  seems like a bunch of women at a beauty shop with gossip filled conversations.  just remember gentleman.......this is supposed to be fun, not fake 
billy5x

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2008, 04:45:53 pm »

most people are reluctant to answer [TECH] question,because everyone can read the written rules,,but not everyone can decipher the meanings of some of the way things are written,,if you have a tech question,then it should be answerd by an official,..that way you know your getting an answer that you may be able to argue about on the tech pad if it comes to that...but keep in mind that this aint nascar,and the local tracks will tend to let people be indiviauls with ther own ideas,and if you come up with something that nobody likes,then the racers do a good job of POLICING,,or telling on each other...its my opinion to just go for it,and build you a car,and put it together however you can,,get out there and have some fun..if you start doing good,then someone will let you know there opinion about what your doing wrong..then go talk to the tech officials ....
Jonathan Johnson

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2008, 01:21:09 am »

olds1982,

I thought I answered what you asked fairly well.  Did I not?

JJ
olds1982

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2008, 03:59:48 am »

JJ,

you are one of the helpful hands that i was talking about.  yes you did answer my question.  my point was that i had this post up for several weeks before anyone responded at all. many looked but no one wanted to give out information.  now on the flip side, put something with drama surrounding it and the fingers start typing.  i think its pretty much the same on all forums....so no sweat.  just wanted to vent a little i guess.  thats again for the help 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: