Golden Triangle Speedway
October 22, 2014, 06:10:53 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Could Some Classes of Cars be consolidated???  (Read 3432 times)
Anthony Fasulo

« on: July 26, 2010, 02:56:30 pm »

As a longtime racer and fan, I enjoy attending the races as often as I can.  I don't know for sure just how many different classes of cars there are.  Although I don't know the rules for each class, it appears to me that the cars in one class are very similar to those in another class, and lap times are very close.  I wonder if it would be possible to consolidate certain classes, and put in to effect rules that would equalize the cars from the lesser class for a couple of seasons so that everyone wouldn't have to revamp or completely build a new car to compete now.  Of course, this would require other tracks in the region to take a similar path, but I honestly think it would better the sport in the long run, put more cars in each class, and yield more purse money per class when you're not splitting it up the total purse so many ways.  My thoughts are, you have some type of a beginner class, a second class that would be considered like an intermediate class, then a top class for those who want to go all out, then something in the way of mini-mods.  What do you guys think?HuhHuhHuhHuh??
Brian88

« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2010, 04:54:48 pm »

Anthony,
The way the classes are now is probably as good as it is gonna get. Believe it or not there are BIG differences between the classes currently running. Some of the classes may look similar but engine wise and suspension wise there are big differences. If you ever get over to the pit side feel free to look me up (#88B Brian Boram Limited Modifed) and I can show youi the differences and explain in further detail. A few years back combining a pure stock class and hobby class was done and it ended up hurting the lower budgeted racers.
Anthony Fasulo

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010, 06:50:53 pm »

Brian:  Thanks for the polite and informative reply.  I was heavily involved in the dirt track deal back in the late 60's to early 70's.  Was on pit crew for Teddy Bryant back then, who, along with Bob LeBert, pretty much dominated the V-8 class.  My old friend, John Bankston, was running in the 6 cylinder class back then, just making the switch over from drag racing.  I also pit crewed on a few different asphault cars that ran all over the country, but I am out of touch with the rules, etc.  Racing has always been an expensive proposition, regardless of what class you run.  I think you guys all race hard and usually put on a good show for the fans.  Better shows usually equate to more people in the stands, which if the purse is based on a percentage of the gate receipts, means more purse money.  I witnessed that track being built, and want to see it prosper and be a fun both to race at and be a spectator.  I've seen that track go from booming when it originally opened, go down to a catfish pond in the infield, open back up, flounder around for several years, and now, I think Glen Johnson has things going in the right direction.  Being a track owner and promoter is very often a "thankless" job.  Somebody is always going to be pissed about something.  I know that some people don't particularly like Glen because he is, at times very direct about how he says things, and doesn't mince his words.  I DO hope that the racers have been able to appreciate all the positives and stability he has brought to the track.  Thanks again for responding.
Brian88

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2010, 07:14:19 pm »

No problem. I know of those drivers you spoke of, Teddy Bryant was my neighbor growing up. Things have turned in the right direction for the race track. I too would like to see the track grow and prosper. I hope you stop by my pit sometime, I wouldn't mind going over the different classes. I am no expert by any means but I think I could help you distinguish between the classes. I look forward to seeing you at the track.

Brian Boram
#88B Limited Modified
Anthony Fasulo

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2010, 07:35:39 pm »

Brian:  I'll make a point out of coming to see you next time I'm out and your class is running.  My grandson and stepson would get a kick out of seeing the cars up close, and give them somebody to pull for in the stands.  If you knew Teddy, then you're bound to know his son, Richard.  Richard worked for me several years back, but I think he's found work out of this area.  I also know Johnny Brown (the stocky built guy with a pony tail).. worked with him up until just a few weeks ago...darn good Toyota technician.
TurboTyler
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2010, 07:38:38 pm »

i wish we could get a local class of sprint cars with a motor similiar to the limited motors just with a little more mild head something in alum. instead of cast. and a nice 4 barrel carb. and pay out 600 dollars a night for a win. my little experience in  a sprint car was more than a lesson in speed. more about the money that those guys put in those cars and most of it is the motor end of the deal but the parts are expensive. like rear end 1500 the whole drive line 1000 magnito 1500+ dollars etc. i know i would try to talk my dad into selling the limited if we could get a weekly show going with atleast 10 cars a night and hopefully grow. what do yall think?
Brian88

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2010, 08:27:32 pm »

It has been done before. At this point with the economy and all I am not sure it is possible. It seems the modified class as getting smaller too. But who knows!!
go fast

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2010, 08:55:37 pm »

Anthony  this is johnny arthur give glen a call he appricate your comments he has taken some of them to heart starting next week we will have a family section its good to have positive in put with a solutin to a problem so give him a call when you have time his #781 2801
Johnny Arthur
driver 711 ss
aubrey cain

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2010, 12:20:29 am »

Hi Anthony!  The cars have changed a lot since you were involved with racing. The cars that I raced for Glenn English wouldn't be legal to run in any class now. Good to hear from you, it's been a long time since I talked to you. Have a great day!

Aubrey Cain
CAGE RATTLER

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2010, 12:31:49 am »

Aubrey,I remember when you and Red Aldridge raced door to door at beaumont and Silsbee...Was that the same car that Cory Neil had and Staurt Sandoz had ? I cant remember if that was SS or SUPER STOCK... THANKS JUD UTTERBACK   
Anthony Fasulo

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2010, 12:55:20 pm »

Aubrey:  Great to hear from you as well.  Nice to know there are others on this site that remember back when things were different.  I know you remember, as I do how they used to start as many as 30 cars in the features at H&B and Motorama.  For those who never had the pleasure of watching you drive, you missed out on a real "clinic" for driving dirt.  I've seen drivers all over the country, and Aubrey, I got to say that your smooth, clean driving style, and the ability to race hard and still not tear up and abuse the car are traits I always admired.  If everybody drove like you, the flagman could throw away the caution flag, cause he wouldn't need it.  My brother in law, Freddy Fryar, went out to the track one night with me, and was very impressed with your driving ability and style.  Are you still involved with racing?  Me, I've had my fill of working on racecars.  I'll keep my butt up in the stands from here on out.  Is turn one out there still the same as it always was?  Looks to me like it is almost a 90 degree turn when you go off into one.  Don't remember it being that sharp of a turn going off in there...at least it looks that way from the stands.  Seems like alot of cautions happen right there...
Racer_88

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2010, 01:53:03 am »

Anthony, reading this thread it sounds like you are form the erea of Butch Guidry out of Louisiana also. I grew up around him and i am sure that he raced here and where ever yall raced.
You question the turn 1 @ CTRP..... that is a good question. I have raced all over also and have a shop full of trophies but CTRP is my acelies hill when it comes to running well there. I have been able to lead but cannot do that for more than 4-5 laps but in gerneral cannot figure that little track out. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
You speak to Aubrwy like he is a fanese driver. well that is what i am also not a jam it in and lwts figure it out after we arte in the middle... or not a kamazzzzzziiiii style racer.

Chuck
88 Motorsports

Chuck 88 SS
double bb

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2010, 07:23:30 am »

Hey guy's that was interesting reading there, I watched them close down H&B and open HWY 90 speedway .
I also remember all the cars in all the races, those were the days. I remember Mike Murry and John Whitington , an Bob Labert In his mudpuppy #89 those were some of my fondest memories. The stands were full, and every body had there own spot and knew every one around them . The pitts where a sight to see, every one working on all the cars to make sure that they all made the show. Some of the best Hamburgers in BEAMONT.  I am still here at the track every Friday night that I can be ,And my father is there every Friday night waiting on some one to open the gate ! The love of racing gets in your blood and I dont think you can ever really get it out . My dad is 77yrs young and cant wait till Friday and Saturday night , he will be in houston or clevland or crosby on every saturday night .I am almost 52 and I am In Randy Lovell's racing team . And I am proud to still be apart of Friday Night Racing at Golden Triangle Racway Park. By the way My Dad's Name Is Ronnie Brown and mine is Ronnie Brown II . I wish all the Luck to all the drivers and to all the fan's to have as much fun and enjoyment as Dad and I have through all the years . I hope there are many more years to come .  
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 07:26:43 am by double bb » Logged
Anthony Fasulo

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2010, 01:34:13 pm »

Chuck:  I'm not sure if I remember Butch Guidry or not.  They used to have several guys that would ocassionally come over from LA for special events.  The LA names that come to mind are LaVelle Cooley and Michael Reese.  They were team cars, I believe, from around DeRidder, if I remember right.  LaVelle raced at H&B regularly, and Michael ran now and then.  LaVelle ran the yellow #14, and though he seldom ever won a feature, he was usually in the top 4 or 5...not bad when you consider the number of cars running back then.  Back in that day, they only had 3 classes; V-8, 6 cylinder, and Volkswagens.  The V-8 class would often start as many as 30 cars in the feature, and there were at least a dozen cars capable of winning when the green flag dropped...Bob LeBert, Teddy Bryant, Pinky Pinkston, Gary Hill, LaVelle Cooley, Bill Walters, Bill Samford, Mike Sprinkle, Andy Burns, Jerry Hichcock, Dale Powell, Ray Kulhanek(Ray Allen Kulhanek's who runs ASCS, his dad), Eddie Sitton, Big George England, and many more.  Any one of the names listed above was capable of winning the feature on a given night.  As for setting up a car at GTRP, the track is shaped a little bit "hairpin" in my opinion.  It is a sharp curve going off in to #1, more gradual coming out of 2, gradual going off in to #3, then kind of tight coming out of 4.  I have no idea what you're allowed to do with suspension and set up in your class, but I'll offer a few suggestions.  Anytime you go to a strange track, or have difficulty getting around a certain track, take some time to watch the guys who run up front regularly in the faster classes of cars, and take note of the line they run...they'll show you the fastest way around that particular track.  Try running that same line when you get on the track, but bear in mind that the same exact groove may not work for you according to how your car is set up.  Generally speaking, I always believe that you should set up your car to run fast on the fastest part of the track, and be able to decently get through the other parts.  If a track is symetrical; that is all corners pretty much the same, it's easy.  At GTRP, I might tend to set a car up to where it came off of 2 really strong without being loose nor pushing.  The same set up should get you off into 3 in good shape.  You'll then have to experiment with a groove coming out of 4 and going off into 1.  A wet, tacky track requires a stiffer setup, and when it gets dryslick, a softer setup will work best.  If your car works pretty good in the heat race, but then won't drive right in the feature, you may have to try a different line to get the car hooked up.  I don't know if you have access to a set of scales, or what all you're allowed to do to the chassis.  If you can start out with about 55% of the weight on the left and 45% on the right, and 55% on the rear and 45% on the front, and your spring and shock set up is correct, that should give you a half decent set up to start out with; something you can find a groove with and drive, and fine tune from there.  Bear in mind every car is different, every chassis design is different, so this is very general, fundamental stuff.  Hope this helps a little,  Anthony
Anthony Fasulo

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2010, 03:38:56 pm »

Double B(Ronnie):  You are pit crewing with a good bunch.  I know Randy's dad well, Fred Lovell.  Fred had his share of good fortunes around the dirt tracks years back, and also did a little asphault driving Carl Colicher's car back in the mid to late 70's.  Randy is a good driver in my opinion...darn good carpenter, too.  The # 89 you spoke of that Bob LeBert drove was a 6 cylinder that actually belonged to Raymond Adrio.  That was after Bob very successfully campaigned his own school bus yellow # 20 in the V-8 class, which was a '57 Chevy for many years.  That car, too, was nicknamed the "mud puppy".  I think the first time I saw Bob compete was about 1967 at the track in Cleveland...talk about a "bullring" back then.  That's where everybody from this area raced dirt before Harold Deer built H&B.  Bob LeBert very well could be the most successful dirt driver from this area, from a consistency and longevity standpoint.  Rarely did he ever wreck or have mechanical problems.  He was smooth and drove smart and clean.  Bob was a lineman for Gulf States Utilities back then, and used to make his living running his dirt car when they'd go on strike from time to time...he won pretty often.  Last I heard, Bob is a guiding fishing trips up on Sam Rayburn Reservior, and has washed his hands with racecars.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: