Golden Triangle Speedway
April 20, 2014, 05:44:32 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Could Some Classes of Cars be consolidated???  (Read 3248 times)
double bb

« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2010, 08:33:27 pm »

You are right on Anthony on all accounts , I remember the #20 of Bobs . Yes he is at the lakes fishing , his wife is the real fisherman . She has won bigger and better toys doing so as well ! Reading you post earlyer brought back a bunch of memories . Thanks I needed that , that fog bank gets pretty thick some times cant remember my own name !
Thanks !!!!
thewayitis

« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2010, 09:23:30 pm »

Red Aldridge!!!! Thats who i would like to see come back and race!  Never a dull moment with him.  Grin
mlp911

« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2010, 11:11:56 pm »

thomas peevey won a few races back then too. a little before my time but ive heard the stories from my dad and (uncle)thomas
jhhuff2003
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2010, 11:13:39 pm »

Red Aldridge!!!! Thats who i would like to see come back and race!  Never a dull moment with him.  Grin
NO DOUBT.Me too.That is a driven lil SOB.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 11:15:17 pm by jhhuff2003 » Logged
haulsas

« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2010, 12:16:23 am »

Next time your at his house look at some of his old photo albums....Theres pictures of lots of people that were kids then, and now there racing and have been for years. Theres some pics of Daryl Seals when he could barely see over the fender of the cars..Lots of good pics....
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 05:12:16 am by haulsas » Logged
Jonathan Johnson

« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2010, 01:27:10 am »

Mr. Fasulo

Hey bud, how have you been?  I have been over a few times to run my dad's limited.  I know he has really enjoyed reading your posts and comments, and as Johnny has said, taken many to heart as you will soon see.  Next time I come in, I'll try to get in touch with James to let you know.  I would enjoy seeing you, as I haven't in some time.  Talk to you soon.

JJ
aubrey cain

« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2010, 02:57:09 am »

Cage Rattler,  yes the camaro that Cory had and then sold to Stuart was the old 66 super stock that I drove for Glenn English. I don't think I ever raced with Red that I didn't get red paint on my car. LOL
    Anthony...... one thing that made good racing back then was we didn't draw for position. We lined up by points with high point man in the back. I remember starting 30th in a 20 lap feature and winning several times. Also, thank you for the nice comments. I don't race anymore because of health problems caused by a hospital.
JeffBell8b

« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2010, 04:36:55 am »

Best read topic in a long time on the ole forum.. Enjoyed it all so far. Keep it going. Jeff Bell  LOL sounds like I am to young to make any comments.LOL

Racer_88

« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2010, 05:14:24 am »

Thanks for the starting information..... I will print all the names you have mentioned and bring to butch i am sure he will enjoy reading them. Butch i belive ran the volkswagon class there. Butch had a stroke about 3 years ago and has only made a few trips to the track since.

Again thanks for the starting advise.
Will be back soon hopefully.
Chuck

Chuck 88 SS
Anthony Fasulo

« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2010, 01:46:49 pm »

to mlp911:  Yes, I had forgotten about Thomas Ray Peavy driving the Falstaff sonsored #25...I knew I was gonna' forget a few of these guys who were regulars.  Thomas was a hard charger, and would definitely get in your face if somebody leaned on him too much on the track.  Funniest thing I remember about Thomas Ray involved him drinking a beer after the races at H&B one night.  After the races were over, many drivers, crew members, and fans would end up drinking a few beers out in the pits.  Thomas was sponsored by the local Falstaff distributor at that time.  I was about 13 years old then, and several of us were standing around B.S. ing after.  Somebody had given Thomas a Budweiser (I think), and that was back before coozies were popular.  He saw his sponsor coming up to where he was standing, and was about to crap his pants trying to get rid of that Budweiser in his hand.  He finally handed it off to me when there was nothing else he could do...he did manage to save face in that situation, and after that, he and I were buddies.

Aubrey:  You are right about the inverted starts.  It made for some fantastic racing.  Nothing like watching the faster cars come from the back, and have to work their way up to the front.  Makes for great racing and is very exciting for the fans.  In my opinion, there is nothing worse than having your fastest cars on the front row, and watch them "check out" in to a two car race at best.  When a driver has to work his way up from mid or back of the pack, it will show you who the drivers really are instead of who has the fastest hot rod that night.  I have been to several tracks where they invert the first 10 or 12 in points, which makes for exciting races as well.  Allows different people to be in a position to win instead of the same 2 or 3 all the time.  If an inexperienced driver prefers to start in the back, instead of being up front, that should be their option.  Glen, are you listening???

Aubrey:  I am still working in the paint & body industry.  I sold my shop in 2005, just before Rita hit.  I am now the Ass't Body Shop Manager at Kinsel's.  This business really sucks from what it used to be.  The insurance companies have such a "chokehold" on everything anymore that it is tough for anybody to make a solid living at it anymore.  If I could find another way to feed my family, I'd sure enough consider it.  If Glenn were still alive, he'd be going nuts, no doubt.

Glen:  As a spectator, I would find it very useful if there was some kind of a driver program available; at least for the regular competitors.  You can't hear the PA system once the cars get going at any track.  Even if it were just a single piece of paper with driver names and car numbers listed, I think people would appreciate it.  Sounds like a job for Joy Graham?Huh  Could probably even sell them for a quarter a piece to cover printing expenses.  I know that folks don't read the newspaper as much as they used to, but Burt Darden used to write a column once a week about the dirt track races called "Pounding Pistons".  There were always pictures of either on the track action, or driver photos, and the way he wrote those columns/articles got people fired up and interested in coming to the races every week.  I'm sure Harold Deer and Sal Serio probably were greasing his palm a little bit, bit no doubt it created a huge amount of interest, and went a long way towards filling up the stands, plus, gave many of the drivers some well deserved publicity...sort of created some larger than life local heroes.

Jonathon: It would be nice to see you as well.  Been awhile since you guys were in high school together.  Don't see a whole lot of James these days...he stays pretty busy doing his own things.  I will tell him hello for you next time I see him.
TurboTyler
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2010, 04:56:53 pm »

hm. this is way before my time. old age drivers that i know of from my child hood,(which wasnt but a short time ago) lol howard willis (still driving), bubba morgan (drives when he wants too lol), gary watson (still driving), gary wright (still driving), steve kinser (i guess hes still driving). stuart sandoz (still driving), bubba and earnest haynes (still driving), people like them lol. i could remember a time when i was go cart racing and one night bobby fehring at hrp jumped to the high side of the track and was the only car running the cushion and he went from 17th to winning the race on the last turn. needless to say he was one guy that is a potenial winner on any given friday night. lets see who else appears "old" to me lol. john-o w, buddy boden(spell check, currently retired but working with gary watson). lol and most of these people are still racing today.
Anthony Fasulo

« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2010, 07:45:57 pm »

If there was such a thing as the GTRW "Hall of Fame", most of the names mentioned  in the last few days would certainly be good candidates.  Does anybody out there have any idea of just how many classes of cars there have been out there from the beginning?...As I said, in the very beginning, you had V-8's, 6 Cylinder, and Volkswagens9which evolved into mini modifieds).  Of course there's been sprints, skinny cars, all the current classes, come on guys...help me out here.  I remember many of those great races that Gary Watson had with John Bankston years back.  I remember the Jr. Whittington and Mike Culyer(Limey) dominance, along with Mike Murray, Bill Bloss, and on and on.
Brian88

« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2010, 08:14:11 pm »

Mr Charles Seals and Darryl Seals

« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 08:18:21 pm by Brian88 » Logged
RURACING

« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2010, 08:18:26 pm »

thanks brian for posting the picture of darryl and his dad.   Smiley
Anthony Fasulo

« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2010, 09:07:26 pm »

I remember that car well...Plymouth Valiant, I believe.  Charlie ran strong in that old 6 cylinder class, along with John Bankston, Carroll Resweber, Charlie Maywald, L.C. Brister, and many more.  Those guys logged thousands of laps at H&B and Motorama.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: