Golden Triangle Speedway
October 21, 2014, 03:36:18 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What can we do to make our sport bigger and better ?  (Read 1312 times)
double bb

« on: August 04, 2010, 12:20:11 am »

I was just thinking , What could we do to help our sport grow ? How can we make our fan base grow ?
What can we do to make our facility better ? What if any thing can we as fans do to help ?
I would love to see this racing facility grow and bring back the glory days . We have a lot of things that can hold us back .
Econemy , yea we here that all the time . But the very worst thing you could have as a track owner and a promoter is someone bad mouthing the track . That can and will close this track. Instead of running it down lets see what happens when you do the oposite. Talk it up , Bragg about it , tell all the other drivers how challenging this track is . Challenge some of your buddies from other tracks that never come down here to come and see what you are talking about . Get with your track owner, and talk to him see if he wont work with you and see if he cant help you intise those guys to come down .
Talk to your sponsers and see if they wont kick in alittle to help build a race. Its is going to every one as a team , to make this a great place to race for years to come . I would like nothing better than to see this track go down in the history book , as one of the best dirt tracks in Texas. ( Remeber united you stand and divided you fall )
Philthy Phil
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 02:13:05 am »

You are absolutely right. We all need to take part in growing this sport however we can. I would guess that a good way to do this would be to market or advertise the sport. It seems like many people know of it, or have heard of it but do not show interest in it because they are unfamiliar with dirt track racing.
I know GTRP has been working hard at this becasue they have several advertising spots on the radio stations down here.
I would say send a message to the audiance  that shows how family oriented this sport is and how competitive it is. It's the truth, and I believe it is the core foundation of what is keeping this sport alive.
gfi17ps

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 05:50:00 am »

Double BB, I think you are absolutely right on all points in your post. Its nice to see someone who has the excitement about dirt racing that you obviously do. I am only 29 so I cant speak for the glory days of the track, but from what I hear it was packed every friday night. I dont think the economy is hurting this sport as much as people think. Guys are still bringing their cars to the track and people are still paying to wath them. But what I do think is this, its a very different time now. In the past there simply wasnt as much to do after work and on the weekends as there is now. People have so many options on how to spend their free time its hard for anyone in entertainment to get people to their respective venture every weekend. Families take more vacations and kids are playing baseball year round now, people are just busier. I do like what Glenn has done at the track and I thinks its better now than at anytime since I have been going. I do hope to see more people out there watching and participating and im sure word will spread.
BrownBrothersRacing

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2010, 12:22:22 pm »

i third this post Double BB.... Glen is going in the right direction but we dont need to stop with the improvements to the track and bringing in a new fan base. At GTRP i know that we some of the best dirt trackers in Texas and Louisana and JMO i think that need to be our mind set. Money talks when trying to bring in new cars to GTRP...Also i think it is a good idea if GTRP had a special saturday night show or friday and saturday night show every now and then b/c i know alot of cars that would run GTRP but cant make it on friday. Just an Idea

Brown Brothers Racing
          GB 1B
double bb

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2010, 03:41:20 pm »

I also think Glenn is doing a stand up job . I dont think we tell him enough about that .
I was just trying to see how every one else felt, I was hoping to get a lot more opinions !
I enjoy the Friday night's at GTRP , I wanted to hear some of the positive thought's wants and wishes.
Like you said " getting some Saturday races at GTRP would be great " But you know and I know how much
planning that takes . Maybe next year Glenn will have a chance to do some of that planning in the off season .
He needs to hear that from his drivers , thats what I am talking about .
Getting more feedback from the drivers . POSITIVE feedback that goes along ways.

And by the way, you guys are doing a great job . I know Brown Brothers Racing  does alot to help the track .
Grant and Johnny , you boys are doing a great job in the Limited division for your first year !
I bet it was hard changing over from the full body cars . Keep up the good work !

There are alot of drivers that put forth alot of effort and help to GTRP.
The biggest thing a driver could do is show up every friday night , thats in a perfect world. We know they have family's
and work and other functions,deer hunting , baseball, football, softball, and take there wifes out , vacations all that stuff is important to keep a family strong . Thanks drivers for coming out and putting on a show when you can .
Anthony Fasulo

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2010, 05:33:20 pm »

I, too, think Glen Johnson is doing a very good job with the track.  It IS a business, and the track does need to generate at least a modest profit to stay afloat and make it worth Glen's time and effort.  I would suspect that because Glen owns other businesses that put food on his table, he is probably reinvesting more back in to the track than another owner/promotor would.  Promoting a racetrack can often be a "thankless" job.  Seems there's always gonna be somebody that gets upset about something.  I would suggest that ALL drivers and teams adopt the mentality that they will be open and receptive to the track trying new and different things to put more fannies in the bleachers...more people in the stands will lead to better purses.  Speaking of purses; at any level of auto racing, prize money is meant to help defray the costs of racing, NOT to completely fund the costs of it.  Thats why even in NASCAR'S top teams, even though the purses are huge, it still takes a boatload of sponsorship money to keep it funded.

How do we get more people in the stands?  To borrow an idea from Baytown, I might suggest that a bunch of free tickets be distributed now and then around the area.  When the ASCS sprints come to town, the Baytown track gets partial sponsorship from somebody like O'Reillys Auto Parts, and they promote them all night long.  They distribute FREE tickets all over the place, then charge $10.00 to park each car; considerably more for a motorhome.  People are drawn like flies on fresh cow----t to anything that is free.  What happens is that they end up with a packed house of 10,000 fans who spend money on concessions and souvenirs.  If that were done in Beaumont using a show with just regular classes thgat run regularly, and the people get a good show that doesn't drag on all night long, a certain number of them will become regular or semi regular fans.  I realize that Beaumont won't seat 10,000, but if you were able to pick up another 100 regular fans each time the promotion is repeated; well, the benefits are obvious.  The key is going to be that the cars and drivers put on a top notch show, run the races off quickly without countless cautions and fooling around, dispell some of the perceptions that many people have about the races, and give 'em something to come back for next week and the week after that.  No doubt, there are thousands and thousands of people from this area that have never been to the races.  If you can get some of them to the track the first time, a certain number of them will become regulars, and some will eventually build cars and become competitors as well.  Another method that works well is to strategically park race cars from top classes along major streets and intersections during the day on Friday, with a sign that reads "Races Tonight ".  This would be a great attention getter, and is bound to get a few additional folks to the track that night, not to mention a little exposure for the sponsors, and a way to divert a little extra traffic in to the place of business the car is parked at....a win, win situation for all involved.  Come on, I know the rest of y'all have some good ideas to share!   Anthony Fasulo
agnasty92

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2010, 02:08:55 am »

bigger motors= faster cars=more fans and harder wrecks =] look at nascar 200 mph. i would love to see someone do that on dirt haha. no really i think glen is trying to do exactly this. im shure the family sec is goin to bring more fans out once the word gets out about it. and a few weeks ago i saw keith handing out glow sticks to the kids. little things like that im shure made those kids feel apart of the races and made them want to come back. but on the other hand the economy isnt helping any. i know as a driver im strugling to keep my car on the track and i know im not the only one. i know nascar is strugling just like college football and any other sport.

jacob 409-673-9603
v8musiic

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2010, 09:08:39 pm »

I enjoy GTRP  every time I visit. I also visit Cowtown Speedway in Kennedale Tx. They sometime have the kids bring their bikes and have races at intermission and what they call as " candy call " where a couple of drivers pull up to the flag stand and pass out rock candy. Keep those kids happy.
OhWonRacin

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2010, 09:40:53 pm »

I agree with every one. Glen is doing a great job!  But as mentioned, with football season here, any racer dad that has a football player, band member, or cheerleader usually has to park them or face the pain in the dog house.  Sabine Raceway used to get crippled during football season.
Rowdy51

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2010, 02:26:38 am »

Economy is alot to do with it. And prices to run some of the lower classes has got more exspensive. I cant get caught up enuff at the moment to even think about looking at a new racecar at the moment. I said i was gone buy alot better car and build a stronger motor but havnt been able to do it YET! If it isnt one thing its basicly another that pushes things back. Economy is a big thing, and having other playtoys and projects doesnt help any.

StreetStock 51
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: