Golden Triangle Speedway
October 21, 2014, 06:12:17 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Future of the F-bodys "camaro"  (Read 2407 times)
Racer_88

« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2010, 02:52:15 am »

welll my cage is set in place by IMCA rules and the Seat is by IMCA rules and yes i have to add LOTTTTTSSSSSS of weight to mine.....

Chuck 88 SS
Philthy Phil
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2010, 02:53:02 am »

The one clincher I could think of about weight, is how the total chassis weight directly effects how "sensitive" the car will be to the handling characteristics.

The lighter the car, the more sensitive the chassis reacts to your "set-up". So, in other words, a slight adjustment on a limited to make a difference on the track is equivalent to a larger adjustment to a street stock.

The F-Body can be a really dominant and fast car, however they are a lot harder to work with compared to a metric.
Some pros for the F-body would be, wheel base, CGH, and leaf springs. From what I understand about the leaf, the reaction time for weight transfer is slower than a coil spring which can help and hurt your cause. It can help on exit by allowing the car to ease the power to the wheels such as on dry slick. It can hurt on entry, because if the weight is slow to transfer down onto the rear springs, that will not give the tires enough bite and cause a loose entry.

Rowdy, I would talk to Johnny Arthur or Doug Manchester, they seem to really have their Camaros figured out. Please stay in street stock!
Rowdy51

« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2010, 03:36:29 am »

What about converting a camaro to a coil over thats what i been thinking about. i think i saw a diagram on cscracing.com on the camaro sidewinder chassis you could have it as a coilover also. i kno f-bodys properly setup can run very well. the car i had the owner before me when had it ran silsbee and it was a top 3 car. but its been several years since i been in a car. the one i had needed to be striped completly and resetup for gtrp plus my motor was never dialed in. only time it hooked up was on a playday when it was dryslick. thats only time i could run it to the floor on the high side and not have my hands full. i cant imagine trying to run the car i used to have on the asphalt take offs it would be a nightmare cause it never hooked up on the soft compound Hoosiers
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 04:05:22 am by Rowdy51 » Logged

StreetStock 51
Philthy Phil
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2010, 01:51:35 pm »

That coil spring idea sounds pretty cool, but it is illegal within the street stock rules. If the car is not hooking up or handling well on soft hoosier tires, then your handling is not in the ball park at all.

Use this as a guide to setting up your car in the ball park: Base all of your ride heights off of the RF. Set your RF ride height so that the center of the lower ball joint is 1/2" higher than the inner pivot point on the lower control arm.

Set the LF ride height 1/4" - 1/2" lower than the RF. Camaros are pretty low already, I would go 1/4" lower on LF.

Now set the rear ride heights 1 1/2" higher than the front.
I believe the Geometries and shock rates should be close to the same on an F-body as they are on a metric. This closely dials in role center and weight percentage.

If your getting more than 4" of shock travel in the rear, stiffen up the spring until it is about 3 1/2" of travel. this ensures weight transfer.

I hope this helps. I learned this stuff, from "Street stock chassis technology" by steve smith, and a Harris Chassis Book. It has helped me out a lot.
triplerracing98

« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2010, 05:04:01 pm »

If you put a stock body on a limited to run it in SS you will have to move the eng/trans forward because of the rule in SS about the #1 spark plug
Rowdy51

« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2010, 05:26:53 pm »

thanks. the car i  had was setup for a dryslick it would handle on dry slick like a dream trying get it to handle on tacky was a joke. plus when i got the car and put the motor in it it was alot more motor that what was ever in the car. i think im going to end up going to a metric chassis. easier to find parts for compared to the f-bodys.

StreetStock 51
mod101

jhracing101

« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2010, 05:39:39 pm »

Yes there is a rule for seat location for street... 

it is not how hard you hit,its how hard you get hit and keep moving foward!!!
31 RACER

« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2010, 05:49:58 pm »

What about the red wagon in SS, where is the spark plug on that car cause I heard that it was a (limited chassis) just asking because I dont anything it
st.stock38

« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2010, 05:57:13 pm »

Yes there is a rule for seat location for street... 
  where is the rule for seat location? missed it i guess.  only thing i saw was the drivers head may not protrude from drivers compartment.
dirtbag

« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2010, 06:12:49 pm »

There is no seat rule in ss.  Its no where in the rules.I would be more worried about a limited ss than someones seat location.   Jmo. 
st.stock38

« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2010, 06:17:33 pm »

i agree but was kinda curious where they got that from? cause i read it three time's myself. agreed about the limited ss!
Philthy Phil
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2010, 06:39:37 pm »

The last time I read about the seat location it said it must be in front of the third Body mount, which is about where the back seat is.

The Red Wagon is not a limited chassis. Ive seen the car up close, the motor is mounted right.

A limited chassis has the frame trimmed a little in the front at the steering box, and from the rear shock mounts back, which would be illegal for street stock.

If you notice, the guys who always run in the front all have something in common, their corner entry is really good and their front end never washes out.

That is because they have a corrected or "Dialed in" roll center, which is extremely important in chassis set up. A roll center can dictate how soft or hard a spring you can run along with shock rates.

If anyone is concerned about someone elses race car, you should probably ask yourself, "Do I know where my roll center is."
GTRP
Administrator

« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2010, 07:34:43 pm »

GTRP reply:

No you cannot run a limited car chassis in Street Stock with a steel body. 

We are working with the racers and Randy at Gator on rule clarifications in the Street Stock division.  Hopefully we will be finished with it by the first of October. 

Yes the camaros will continue to be in this class. 

Some of the things we are working on at this time:
engine set-back
seat location
firewall location
floorpan location

If you have any comments or suggestions please call Glen at (409) 781-2801.

Everyone has worked hard to bring back the Street Stock class, let's continue to move forward
and  expand the class even more!
st.stock38

« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2010, 09:35:06 pm »

GTRP reply:

No you cannot run a limited car chassis in Street Stock with a steel body. 

We are working with the racers and Randy at Gator on rule clarifications in the Street Stock division.  Hopefully we will be finished with it by the first of October. 

Yes the camaros will continue to be in this class. 

Some of the things we are working on at this time:
engine set-back
seat location
firewall location
floorpan location

If you have any comments or suggestions please call Glen at (409) 781-2801.

Everyone has worked hard to bring back the Street Stock class, let's continue to move forward
[/quot

well hopefully you all don't change to much of these things to outlaw exsisting cars! JUST SAYING
Philthy Phil
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2010, 09:41:34 pm »

GTRP reply:

We are working with the racers and Randy at Gator on rule clarifications in the Street Stock division. 

He stated "rule clarification", not any changes.

Glen would be the last one to hurt the SS class.

Thanks for your SS support Glen.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: