Golden Triangle Speedway
October 20, 2014, 04:16:43 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Haulsas Accident  (Read 1751 times)
Wolf

« on: August 25, 2010, 10:54:34 am »

Hey there buddy, I heard about your hand accident. If you need anything just send a message by way of this here post.
haulsas

« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2010, 12:06:37 pm »

Thanks for the thought, I appreciate it. I'm trying to get into the Brown Hand Institue in Houston, I didnt like what Beaumont Bone and Joint had to say.        I will let you know what happens....Just glad I still have fingers.....
Wolf

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2010, 02:19:58 pm »

Must've been pretty bad if your waiting on the Brown Hand Inst Huh
bigdog50

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2010, 02:58:15 pm »

What happen to your hand haulsas
haulsas

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2010, 04:40:07 pm »

I was using a transmisson jack, one of the scissor type that is red and white from Harbour Freight. There is a keeper nut on the outside of the drive cam bolt that maintains control of the lift plate as it lowers from being extended. That nut came off. I had the transmisson up and had it stabbed on the back of the block with all the bell housing bolts out. I bumped the impact to lower the jack just a little to allow for the transmisson to drop down off the dow pins. Evidently that drive cam had ran itself all the way back due to not having any weight on it because I had a tie down strap around the transmisson, so this held the scissors open and didnt give any indication of how lose the jack was. If that nut had been on there it would have raised the bottom of the jack up and gave evidence of how much slack was realy there.. So, when I pushed on the side of the jack to wiggle the transmisson it fell lose and went all the way down. All my fingers and most of my hand were in the scissors when they bottomed out. It took me a few moments to get positoned to raise the jack back up. I was home bymyself and in the shop alone.... The impact had gotten knocked out of it and the adapter from 3/8 to half had come off. I had to get all of that back together before I could get it raised up. I could see my fingers in the jack and they were bent around almost backwards. I finally got it raised up and my hand out of it. I only thought it hurt while it was in the jack,,,after I got it out was when I realized the full magnitude of what had happened. I would imagine it was in there about 3 minutes. It cut and damaged nerves in all the fingers on my left hand. The ring finger has the nerves severed in it, and the index is almost as bad. I dont have any feeling in the tips of my fingers and very limited from the first joint down on most of them. Plenty of stitches,,but I am happy I still have all my fingers on my hand....It could have been alot worse....I know this is my fault and only mine,, I saw that nut on the floor and knew it didnt go to anything on that car...I should have stopped and took a couple of  minutes to check that jack cause I figured that was were it went. That little bit of being in a hurry nearly cost me my hand...It's definetly going to cost me some money trying to get my fingers back workin properly...You take stuff for granted,,,,like being able to type or tie your shoes....Thanks for the concern,,I will let you know what happens. They are going to give me a mobility test next Friday so I should know more then....take care....
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 04:56:01 pm by haulsas » Logged
mlp911

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2010, 05:12:34 pm »

hate to hear that. i know that everything ive bought from harbor frieght ive had to tighten all the bolts. seems like they just put things together finger tight.
haulsas

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2010, 06:28:45 pm »

Yep, your right about that. I went up there to look at a new jack just to make sure about what happened. The display didnt have the keeper pin in it....I showed the kid that worked there what  I was talking about but I doubt if they will do anything about it. I know I will be spending some money on a better jack. This one is retired.....
jb88

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2010, 10:02:20 pm »

IF MY CAR GETS JACKED UP I WILL COME GET YOURS.  WE CAN PUT MY MOTOR IN IT IF WE NEED TO .............LOL      YOU ARE RITE  AT LEAST YOU HAVE YOUR HAND .  COULD  BE   WORSE  YOU NEED SOMETHING  LET ME KNOW  SEE YA AT THE TRACK  NEW NAME 4 U   ( PINCH  POINT)    YOU GOTA WATCH 4 THEM BEEN IN THEM MANY TIMES  Undecided Undecided Undecided Undecided   
bigdog50

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2010, 12:06:10 am »

Man i hate that i hope everything works out for you if you need something let me know.I know i see some cars jacked up at the track without a jack stand and if you does have a stand under a car it don't have a good base under it and the ground give out under the stands that would be bad
haulsas

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2010, 12:25:52 am »

Yep, I have seen that too. I have a small piece of plate steel I bring out there to keep my jack from sinking.. I went to the store earlier and noticed how cold my finger tips get when I let my hand hang down for more than a few minutes. I will be glad when all this is behind me,,I hope it is behind me at some point....sure wish I could do this all over.....
jb88

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2010, 01:50:22 am »

THERE IS ALOT OF THINGS I WOULD DO DIFFERENT .  WELL LIKE WATCHING THE TURD SHORTENING MY ROPE TIED TO MY BIKE BEFORE I JUMPED OFF THE BIG CLIFF . COULD HAVE DONE WITHOUT THOSE  SCARS BUT LIKE YOU SAID A WEEK AGO ,THE CHICKS DIG IT.....LOVE YA MAN HOPE YOUR HAND HEALS FAST . PINCH POINT Grin Grin Grin
mlp911

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2010, 01:50:27 am »

even though you dont have feeling in some of your fingers doesnt mean its permanent. i cut a finger pretty bad and it took several months before i got feeling back in it.
haulsas

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2010, 02:54:36 am »

I have to wait for the swelling to go down and all the stitches to be taken out, then I will be able to know more... I am sure it will be ok,,,just like everything,,all you need is time and money..lol.... you gonna be back this week Mlp911..
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 02:58:07 am by haulsas » Logged
mlp911

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2010, 04:22:46 am »

i think so. my moms memorial service is friday at 2. the car is ready so i guess i will make up my mind after that.
Wolf

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2010, 12:02:22 pm »

My condolenses to you & your fmly PV.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: