Golden Triangle Speedway
August 31, 2014, 10:10:49 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Words of Wisdom" by Joe Mayhew  (Read 2545 times)
Tim B

« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2011, 01:04:07 am »

I do think the money these guys race for does matter some. If the money does not mean anything then offer no purse and see how many show up just for the sport. I realize none of the local guys make a living racing but you do have a few that pad their pockets pretty well by the time the weekend is over. However it would be nice to spread the money around to help the others with the week to week war wounds.
DryHumor

« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2011, 02:44:34 pm »

I can tell you that NOBODY is padding any pockets at the race track. The winner just loses the least! The pay DOES matter, because it takes all of what you win just to get back to the track the next week.

"Pre maddona" drivers loading up before the feature due to invert? We have been racing the modified class for at least 15 years at GTRP (formerly HWY90, and Motorama) and NEVER heard of anyone threatining to load up due to invert...I am calling BS on that one. We have been dealing with a full field invert for the last 3-4 years due to low car counts. When they pull that "4" it usually inverts the ENTIRE field. Happens often.

I agree with giving the fans a show. Coming from the rear of the field gives the fans a great show. Doing that in a Pure stock is very possible since there are alot of Rookies. For guys with your experience TimB, makes it easy. This is not a slam on Pure Stock drivers by any means because it is an ENTRY level class.

Limiteds, and Modifieds..not so much. There is alot of tallented racers racing these cars. Inverting by points would only hurt the guys that support the track every week. That is probably why the promotors don't do it.

Continued-
DryHumor

« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2011, 02:52:48 pm »

30 years ago it did not cost $150 to get to the races. I believe it costed somewhere around $10. This is just for a racer to show up. Not make a lap! This is what it costs us to go today. For a fan it costs the average family $75-100 a night instead of $5-10. Considerable, considering they can go to a movie and dinner for that.

Thats where the problem lies. Technology in our equipment, and bad economies have priced our sport out of contention for the average family. Most of the racers in the pit area have spent every spare dime they have on thier racing equipment. Its not thier fault. The ones that can afford it show up. The ones that are on the fence stay home, and promotors ending up cutting purses, and next week even more stay home. Its not going to get any better if guys can't afford to come back next week. Thats the facts of the matter. Howard  and Johno have not raced at GTRP in over a month....Have the car counts in the Limited Modifieds gotten any better? Probably not.

Earl
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 03:01:26 pm by DryHumor » Logged
Tim B

« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2011, 02:15:25 am »

First off I don't race pure stock - in fact I don't race at all - but I have been involved in dirt track racing for the past 35 years with different cars at almost all the local tracks. You can call BS on someone threatening to load up on a invert all you want but I'm telling you it's not something I heard, I saw it with my own eyes so you can think what ever you want. I can also tell you the night it happened it was a full field of modifieds and it was one of the drivers you named. I did not say a word about inverting by points. What I suggested was to run the same heat format you have now and line up the first feature from the heat race results - then invert the second feature from how the first one was finished - just an idea to spread some of the money around. I agree in both the limited and modified classes you have a lot of good drivers and watching them race from the back would be what people in the stands want to see. I agree it cost alot just to get into the track without ever running a lap - maybe it cost the racers so much to get in because the stands are virtually empty, the money has to come from somewhere. I do believe after a good weekend at GTRP or Battleground or any other of the local tracks that Howard and Johno make money - I understand that at the end of the year no one comes out ahead but it sure helps them from week to week. I also agree that what it cost a family to go to the races they can go to dinner or a movie or several other things - thats why maybe a better show might help. No doubt the people will show up if you put something on the track they want to see - Sprints, USMTS, Chassis Challenge - just to name a few. I also know if you've been racing at GTRP, HWY 90 or Motorama in the last 15 years you have never seen cars parked on the side of the Hiway on a week to week basis - wonder why? Also maybe, just maybe, the very lack of cars this year had something to do with the outcomes from the past.

Tim
Tim B

« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2011, 02:45:24 am »

Hey Earl - I now understand your thoughts and reply since I figured out the car you are with - like I said in my first post - some people would not like what I had to say. My format might cost ya'll money - maybe not but it would be fun to watch.
DryHumor

« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2011, 02:44:37 pm »

No doubt Tim it would make a good show by inverting.

I appologize for stating that you run a Pure...I mis-took you for "Tim8" which runs a Pure. If you had..there is nothing wrong, I have no problems with it.

As I stated....(I) <---- have NEVER seen a modified guy load up or threaten to because of an invert. Again...I have not seen this personally. Don't let one instance you saw make the rest of the Modified racers pre-madonna's PLEASE.

Cars on the side of the highway.....Nope not recently. There was a few times when the Latemodels or WoO Sprinter were ther 10-12 years ago.

Mods pay $500 to win or $400 to win if less than 14 cars (usually the case)
Limiteds pay $400 to win normally...but $250 to win if less than 14 cars

It costs the same to run the cars wether there is a full field or 8 cars there.

Cost of running a Modified or Limited. (Other than Motors..they cost about the same)
$75 - for fuel in the truck to get to the track (probably on the low side considering we all have to run generators all night as well.)
$75 - Pit passes (Driver, Wife, and crew guy)
$50 - Racing fuel
$100 - 1 tire (if its dry at all it kills RR)

$300 Total  

***Mind you...There is NO maintenance cost included from week to week and the owners/drivers put in 3-5 nights a week to get them ready. I don't think Howard and Johno are getting rich at a $100 a shot.  EVERYTIME one of those MOTRS goes up in smoke...Your looking at another $2000-$3000 to fix it. It takes 30 Feature wins to pay for that! Howard has been averaging about 25 Feature wins for the last 10 years.

Nobody is making anything....The guy that wins LOSES the LEAST! We love what we do and that makes losing $ worth it I guess.

Earl
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 03:00:52 pm by DryHumor » Logged
Tim B

« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2011, 02:34:46 am »

I understand it cost a lot to race and from a fan stand point it is also very boring to watch the same thing and the same out come week after week. I'm sure for the Willis race team it's all kinds of fun - but if ya'll think you barely get by now think of the other racers who don't run at the front on a consistent basis. I also know that is not your problem and if I was in your shoes I would'nt want anything to change either. I also understand YOU may have never seen any of the drivers act like a premadonna and YOU did call BS - I was just stating what I<---- saw. The reason I even commented on here was to maybe have a few different ideas from a fans stand point to make things more exciting to watch. I do think if things stay the way they are dirt racing in this area will keep having low car counts and I do think it will get worse before it gets better. The reason - the same problem from a while back - you have a couple of haves and a whole lot of have nots. I guess we will see who want to race for the love of it. Less money, fewer cars and no attendence - not far from that now.
Tim B

« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2011, 09:04:16 pm »

I'm pretty sure Edna had 53 Limited Mods last night for the Aaron Hudgeons memorial race - loved the concept that the top 14 cars went into the "A" Main by real time trials and not by heat races. The rest of the field was determined by the results of the four "B" Mains (top 3 to the A). It was very interesting to see where the hot shoes qualified and finished. The track was dry slick and it did show that when the shoes don't start on the pole they just might not win. Was entertaining to watch.
racinjason75
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2011, 04:45:59 am »

sounds  like a great night of racing....

who won the race tim? 

where did they start?

i am pretty sure it was a super star with more feature wins then the entire field combined... minus johno and howard...

Lawrence Mikulencak =  one fast cat  Grin
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 03:05:19 am by racinjason75 » Logged
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: