Golden Triangle Speedway
April 25, 2014, 04:02:22 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: SMF - Just Installed!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are your thoughts on track option bodies?  (Read 751 times)
racinjason75

« on: February 20, 2013, 02:16:33 am »

Been talking about letting people build their own bodies for their karts.

I am not a fan of rules that limit choice and innovations of people that would like to do things a little different.

Tire Rules.  <hate em>  I think it is a disgrace, almost a sell out to make your racers buy only ONE brand of tires.

Here are the questions:

1.  If a karter wants to build a wedge body for their kart, should they be able to?

A. Or should the "Industry" force them to run one particular type of body? <that has to be bought>
  B. If it  were for safety reasons..I would understand... but its not.

2.  Do you think there is a performance advantage to running a small wedge on the clone and or  junior karts?

A. One person says it will add too much weight and too  much rear percentage to the karts.
  B. If I remember, almost every kart has a ton of weight on them already.
  C. Full rear bumpers must be ran. I do not believe this, but for safety reasons would recommend it perhaps next season mandate it to lessen the wheel hops.
  D. I feel seeing a kid with his head over the LR and the kart behind him jumping the tire with his nose.... very dangerous.

3. I hear they will be used as a "weapon"  .... what the hell does that mean? Those monster noses are the "weapons" of choice.
  A.  I hear the "bumpers" are used to spin karts out... really?  They get spun out now... with the bumper on them now.

4. I also hear that the downforce will make it unfair to non wedge drivers...

A. I hear also that todays flat karts have to have  the seat in  one position. one size of tires.  one special prep.  and everyone does the exact same thing.

5. I think diversity will bring more attention to kart racing, and open a challenge. To the ones that say "that kart wont work" to the ones
    that say, "that's not fair"  the contradicting excuse/reasons dont make much sense. 

If its not broke don't fix it?  What's wrong with just doing it different, or even how it used to be... before "someone" decided they thought it should be different.
Karting has changed, from the introduction to these clone nightmares to the rules that remove innovation and character and imagination and the option to
build your own kart...

I do not think the body rules should be limited to one type of body/nose.  If you want to puts sides on your nerf bars... go for it. If you want to spend the
money to purchase these fiberglass bodies, do it. If you want to build a wedge for your kart... do it. 

This lying down driving a kart is not for everyone. I cant tell you how many people talk about how uncomfortable they are... or  how they cant see well...but
because Joe Blow said their seat has to be 4.25 inches from frame rail. 10.765 above axle and about 15 degrees laying down...  they think that is the only way
to drive that kart.

We are not running under any sanctions, we have AKRA  guidelines, we have WKA  guidelines.... but these groups do not care about you or the Kart Track
in Beaumont Texas.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please post your thoughts, both positive/negative.  If you do not want your name here, email text or call me...

GOOD LUCK IN 2O13

DO THE RIGHT THING.....THIS TIME.......
bodydropped

« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 03:12:32 am »

I grew up racing back in the 90s and there was one kart that ran a wedge when I raced in jr one but at that time we didn't have body's, but tire to tire contact was where most of the accidents accrued, but this was before ikf rules were popular. Once the track went to ikf rules the only karts that ran wedges were the kt100 class in which your raced Jason.  We tried the wedge thing last year and scrapped it because the kart turned better without it and the extra weight, that was on a kart in which it was at 600lbs with no lead added to it. It's your track and what you say is what goes. Everyone will have an opinion on the subject thou.  I been around karting along time since the days of the South Park drive in.  I watched a guy break both his feet when he got hit when his kart was spun out, this was prier to the noses .  I do like the body's that are out there thou, they can be alot safer or they can be used a ramp when he's to head crash occurs.  But since the early 90s the saftey aspect is way better. Ill support what ever decision you chose thou
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 03:18:13 am by bodydropped » Logged
jbracer127

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 03:20:53 am »

dont care either if you run them or not i just dont want to "have to" run them rather run a regular body alot less hassle getting around it and working on things
racinjason75

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 03:37:36 am »

thanks JB

funny you say that. i think of having to run these store bought bodies the same way. wedge is off in less than a minute... total access.

you gonna try and race saturday???  <mother nature not looking to good>

racinjason75

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 03:48:02 am »

TJ  we ran IKF in 1992.  both bodies were optioned.  we built our own noses.  had monster bumpers.

kt 100 had wedges,
open 2 strokes had wedges <i ran open until 1997>
limited modifieds 4 stroke had wedges too.
open 4 strokes had wedges too
flat heads had wedge sides... with lower deck or no deck.

but no one had to run either. you could run your nerf bars with number plates.
you could cover your nerf bar.

the safest thing on the karts were the big back bumpers.  there was no wheel hop like today...
kids learned to drive better, cleaner and smarter with open front tires...

I am not saying remove the noses... yes i hate them because they  make picking the kart up hard, the break easy,
you cant always reach brake and gas to set clutch....  they are used  many times as a cow catcher on the front of trains...

If you thought you may cut a tire down all pushing on someones kart...  you may think twice..

They way these karts are ran now, the way the drivers mentality of "moving" someone rather than passing them is
a great disappointment to me.

I want to do whats best for the track, the karters, the crowd and every ones pocket book...

bodydropped

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2013, 03:57:26 am »

That's why I said one kart in jr1 ran a wedge back at Alvin in 94 and I now own that kart.  We ran side panels with a big back bumper, and I still own that very kart also.  I own the 2 karts I grew up racing back in the 90s the first one had a full style fairing that ran from the frt bumper to the steering wheel and covered my feet. Yes the open/ outlaw karts ran a wedge because it was an advantage to them to run the body.  It helped with downforce and to get the power to the ground.   97 was the first year that the ikf mandated a body rule because at the ikf nationals we had to cut our body because it wasn't in spec.  That same year we bought a gman nose at the race and still have it because ikf was going towards an all body rule.  I have pictures from the nationals that I can post to show what we ran against.    Here's a link to the pics

http://smg.beta.photobucket.com/user/bodydropped/library/old%20racing%20pictures
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 04:07:10 am by bodydropped » Logged
racinjason75

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2013, 04:10:24 am »

Wedges  been on them since the 80s...  Started in Alvin at Triple C

racinjason75

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2013, 04:15:20 am »

LOOK AT   IKF  NOW Smiley

WE HAD THE SAME BOXES AT OUR NATIONALS  IN IOWA AND NEBRASKA AND IN MINDEN...  BUT YOU COULD RUN EITHER BODY... 
WHEN I QUIT IN 2001.  YOU COULD RUN  ANY BODY

jbracer127

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2013, 04:22:42 am »

trying to get over time till the new race season im at 67 hours and still two days left for this week and looking like next week is going to be great for my pocket to so im going to work the dairy farm and milk it while i can
racinjason75

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2013, 05:10:00 pm »

YOU GO BOY....   Grin

sbevills

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2013, 05:43:06 pm »

1: Yes, I think as long as the tires are properly protected it shouldn't matter if it gets a little taller in the back or not...that being said there has to be a standard for whats expected for a safely built body and they should be initially inspected and approved before being allowed on the track.

2: No, I think you will probably have to tune your chassis and possibly your tires a little different but I just dont see how you could get a performance advantage out of it, some additional rear bite maybe but advantage I dont think so. I feel the full bumpers should be mandatory for the Jr. classes but not so sure about the adults.

3: Not sure how a side panel can be used as a weapon unless your sliding down the track on your side??? If the reference is to the nose well all karts will have those wedge or not. I have read that a lot of people dont want to run full bumpers due to if someone wants to nose them out of position they dont have to worry about wheel hop so it allows them to go after your left rear without worry of it happening, well from the last couple of races some dont care what bumper you got on they will still run you over. I personally will run a full bumper on my open but my clone kart will not have one.

4: I dont see you generating enough down force on our little track with a clone motor to see any type of advantage. I disagree with the one size fits all approach to tuning you kart. At our level of racing I think you need to get comfortable in your kart and start adjusting from there. Most think  you have to have your kart scaled out to be able to compete and on a national level this may be true but on a local level I dont think so. Heck I own a brand new set of scales and a scale stand and my kart has never been on them and although I got my ars kicked last season I finally got myself comfortable and my kart adjusted where I could compete and done pretty good during the winter series being roughly 150#'s over weight.

Just my 2cents....

Steven

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: